20031012

My first speedgoat



Pronghorn antelope, taken North of Rock Springs, Wyoming, by me with a Ruger M77 in 7x57mm at about 200 yards.

Update: The pronghorn fell at about 1800L on Saturday. We started dressing him out right away, so any smell I noticed was that of entrails. I found the exit wound---three of his left ribs shattered at their roots---but no entry wound.

We spent most of Sunday cutting him up and wrapping him for the freezer. That's when I found the entry wound, a neat hole through the right shoulder blade, and destroyed meat on either side of the spine.

Lessons learned:
  1. A Kabar knife is too big for taking apart an antelope.
  2. Have a sharpener nearby too.
  3. You're going to smell blood and meat on yourself for a while afterward. Hand sanitizer helps but keep it off the meat.
  4. Range estimation on open prairie like that is tough. This antelope actually gave me time to use a laser rangefinder if I had had one.
  5. A laser rangefinder could be fit into the capital expenditures budget . . .